Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let me introduce myself....I'm Turner King

I'm relatively new to the blogosphere and thought I just describe my programming journey that has brought me to where I am today. My first exposure to programming was back in middle school(1999) when I was introduced to HTML through an elective that I took back then. It introduced me to some of the simple concepts of html and in turn lit a spark that would push me through high school. Even though through high school I only did some sparse html work on my own, I was convinced that I wanted to become a computer programmer. The problem I had was that I had no idea where to go from there.

I graduated from high school in 2004 and earned a full tuition scholarship to Carthage College in Kenosha, WI. After taking an introductory course that taught me a little more HTML and some Javascript. I finally was exposed to C++ that spring.

On a side note, it'd be very rare for me to choose C++ to program anything these days (but then again I may just not be experience enough), but as an introductory language it's great. Because as you move on to the Javas, Perls, Rubys, Pythons, you truly appreciated the things you get for free in newer languages.

As I moved through college, I got introduced to OOP a little in C++, but more extensively in Java. The jump from C++ to Java at the time felt like I had riding a bike, but now was given a car. I did hit some rocky points early due to a scheduling conflict that forced me to take some advanced courses before I took the intermediate courses. It's hard to implement polymorphism
when you just only got introduced to basic OO concepts. I graduated from Carthage in 2008 with a B.A. in Computer Science and Theatre with a minor in Mathematics with no job prospects in site.

With no previous internships and no experience whatsoever, I had a hard time finding a job and it turned into two and a half long months with a couple of close calls, but nothing I got truly excited about. I got interviewed by Obtiva near of July and got offered a job in a fairly unique situation where I was to be apprenticing under consultants while building my skills and credentials. It turned out to be a very good week as I also got engaged to my girlfriend of nearly two years a few days before.

This blog I intend to use to display what I've learned since arriving at Obtiva since arriving in August of 2008. It may not show any complex concepts (at least not right away), but is intended to reflect my current skills as a programmer and to help those on a similar path.

No comments:

Post a Comment